Continued Threat to Medicaid
THIS IS REAL and THIS IS URGENT
Senators Cassidy and Graham introduced a bill last week to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This bill, like previous proposals, would make huge cuts to and place caps on the Medicaid program, end the Medicaid expansion and marketplace subsidies in the ACA, and allow states to waive consumer protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
Analysis indicates this bill would be devastating to people with disabilities and their families, women and children, seniors, and low-income Americans. And for the developmental disability community in particular, it threatens access to community living, employment opportunities, and educational supports. These services are available through home and community based waivers; they are also part of Medicaid and they are administered in Washington through the Developmental Disability Administration.
#SaveMedicaid #ProtectOurCareSpread the Word: No Cuts! No Caps! Save Medicaid!
Flood social media, call your members of congress starting today!
Primary hashtag: #SaveMedicaid
Secondary hashtag: #ProtectOurCare
See below for date-specific action, sample messaging, who to tag, resources and more.
Friday September 22
- Join national call with Senator Casey’s staff, CCD experts, and other advocates at 2pm EST
- Call-in number: 1-719-457-0816. Guest code is 751-426#
- CCD National Call-in Day. Everyone needs to participate; spread the word and share the Facebook event!
- Finance Committee hearing at 2 pm EST.
- In DC or not, use this email to submit testimony for the hearing: GCHcomments@finance.senate.gov. This is where groups and individuals can send letters, testimony, video links, photos, stories, etc. Deadline for submission is Monday at 9 am EST. Format: On the first page include title and date of the hearing, and the full name and address of the individual or organization.
- Make an appointment
- Schedule in-person meetings with your Members of Congress to talk to them about the importance of Medicaid to you and the lives of people you care about.
- Not sure how to make an appointment? Call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. A switchboard operator will connect you directly with the Senate office where you can schedule an appointment.
- Find your Members of Congress. All you need is your zip code.
- If you can’t meet in person, call
Call multiple times throughout the day! You can call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121, or use the SEIU toll-free number 866-426-2631, to be connected directly with your Senator or Representative who is a target.
See this factsheet about calling your elected officials.
- Share your story
Tweet, Facebook, write letters, and send short videos to your members of Congress with stories of how cuts to Medicaid will severely impact people with disabilities, seniors, women and children, and low-income Americans. See a list of sample messages below, and find your members of Congress here.
Social media tips1. Use the list of suggested tweets below, and tag your member of Congress:
Good: Start the tweet with their twitter name: a semi-private conversation. This directs the tweet to the person, but restricts the number of people who see it. The person will get a notification that you’ve tweeted them, but only the people who follow both you and the person will see the tweet.
- Example: .@[mysenator]: cutting and capping Medicaid is dangerous for PWD. #SaveMedicaid
- Example: Cutting and capping Medicaid is dangerous for PWD. @[mysenator] #SaveMedicaid
2. Change your Twitter and Facebook Images
Declare your support by changing your Twitter and Facebook cover images and frame in support of #SaveMedicaid. Download these customized images from https://www.flickr.com/gp/aucd/m491v4
While logged in to Facebook:
1. Go to the profile picture frame feature
2. Click on the menu to the left of your profile picture
3. Select the frame you would like to add
4. Click Use as Profile Picture to save
Sample TweetsCutting and capping Medicaid is dangerous for PWD #SaveMedicaid #ProtectOurCare
Premiums will increase. PWD will lose coverage. Vote no on #GrahamCassidy #SaveMedicaid
Medicaid helps PWD live lives like everyone else #SaveMedicaid #ProtectOurCare
We cannot go back to a time when people with pre-existing conditions were discriminated against. Vote no on #GrahamCassidy
Estimated 32 million will lose coverage under #GrahamCassidy @YourSenator #VoteNO
#GrahamCassidy ends Medicaid expansion providing coverage for 11 million people #ProtectOurCare
#GrahamCassidy per capita caps cuts coverage for children and people with disabilities
#ProtectOurCare#GrahamCassidy ends protections on pre-existing conditions and lifetime caps.
#VoteNO @YourSenator #ProtectOurCare
#GrahamCassidy adds millions to uninsured, destabilizes marketplace @YourSenator
Do not vote on #GrahamCassidy before getting a CBO score; committee markup @YourSenator
#GrahamCassidy Would Reduce Federal Funding to States by $215 Billion @Senator
Per Capita Caps and Block Grants shift costs to states #SaveMedicaid. No to #GrahamCassidy
#GrahamCassidy hurts women’s health @YourSenator #ProtectOurCare
#GrahamCassidy hurts women’s health @YourSenator #ProtectOurCare
#GrahamCassidy harms people with disabilities @YourSenator http://bit.ly/2yfJd1g #VoteNo
The rushed process of #GrahamCassidy is not regular order. #VoteNo
Who to tag?Definitely tag Washington Senators Murray and Cantwell in your social media posts. Also tag your representative in the U.S. House.
See all US Senators Twitter handles
See all US Representatives Twitter handles
U.S. Senator Twitter IDs and Facebook pages
If you want to reach leaders outside of Washington, here are leaders advocates are focusing on:
- Maine: Senator Collins
- Alaska: Senator Murkowski
- West Virginia: Senator Capito
- Ohio: Senator Portman
- Arizona: Senator McCain
- Arizona: Senator Flake
- Colorado: Senator Gardner
- Kansas: Senator Moran
- North Carolina: Senators Tillis and Burr
- Iowa: Senators Grassley and Ernst
- Indiana: Senator Young
- South Dakota: Senator Rounds
- North Dakota: Senator Hoeven
- Tennessee: Senators Alexander and Corker
- Sign up to stay informed, with CCD. Email email@example.com to be added to the list.
- Fact Sheets and Talking Points for protecting Medicaid and the ACA: http://www.c-c-d.org/rubriques.php?rubpage=42
- Information on how Medicaid caps would impact people with disabilities, what it would mean in your state, and what you can do – www.protectourmedicaid.org
- Kaiser Family Foundation Medicaid Page – http://kff.org/medicaid/
- Kaiser Family Foundation State by State – http://kaiserf.am/2flSJwi
- Avalere: Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson Bill Would Reduce Federal Funding to States by $215 Billion – http://avalere.com/expertise/life-sciences/insights/graham-cassidy-heller-johnson-bill-would-reduce-federal-funding-to-sta?utm_source=pressRelease&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=09-20-2017
- CBPP: Like Other ACA Repeal Bills, Cassidy-Graham Plan Would Add Millions to Uninsured, Destabilize Individual Market – https://www.cbpp.org/research/health/like-other-aca-repeal-bills-cassidy-graham-plan-would-add-millions-to-uninsured
- NHeLP: Top 10 Threats Under the Graham-Cassidy Bill – https://medicaid.publicrep.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/GrahamCassidyThreatsPWDs-9.19.17.pdf
- Letter from LA Secretary of Health re Concerns of Graham-Cassidy Bill – http://www.aucd.org/template/news.cfm?news_id=13072&id=17
- DPCC: A Deal So Terrible for American Families That Its Been Rejected Already by the Senate – http://www.aucd.org/template/news.cfm?news_id=13071&id=17
- CAP: coverage loss numbers – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-1jxMXpci3lb0ZEdEtsd3Fqbzg